Sunday, March 1, 2015

My Mom's Best Ever Irish Bread Recipe


Believe me when I tell you, she tried them all!



My Mom's Best Ever Irish Raisin Bread

4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
4 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 to 2 cup milk
1 tsps vinegar
2 eggs
3 tbsp butter, softened or melted
2 cups raisins
(caraway seeds can be added if desired)

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add vinegar to milk to sour it. Add eggs, butter, milk and raisins to dry ingredients. Kneed lightly on flowered board (though can be done with spoon if preferable). Mix until a soft dough is formed. Add extra 1/2 cup of milk if too dry. Make round loaf.

Place in deep well-greased 9 inch round pan. Mark a cross on the top with a sharp knife. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees or until bread tests done if toothpick inserted.

Bail รณ Dhia ort

4 comments:

Netmilsmom said...

This reminds me of the bread my Polish mom would make for my Irish dad. She never passed down the recipe.

I'm sure going to try this after Lent!
Thanks.

TLM said...

Thanks for this!! Looks not too complicated and YUMMY!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Carole!

My co-worker Jan told me a secret for yummy Irish bread. Plump the raisins in orange juice then mix them in. Just sayin'...

Dave

TTC said...

Dave,

That sounds delicious!

Thanks for passing iit on.